Christ Church parish developed in the latter half of the nineteenth century as an affluent residential area. The twentieth century saw much decline in the housing stock, however, the last decade has seen great improvement. The population is approximately 5,500 (2001 Census) and is transient with many families and children.
The Church no longer has a hall so we have redeveloped the rear of the building to create a more flexible and usable space, where we serve tea, coffee and sometimes cake on a Sunday morning after our weekly service.
Christ Church Shares a vicar with St. Michael in the the Hamlet. The Hamlet developed at the beginning of the nineteenth century as a collection of villas for the wealthy. Several were built by foundry owner John Cragg and his young architect Thomas Rickman. They also collaborated in building of St Michael in the Hamlet church (1814-15). The congregation of St Michael’s enjoys traditional evangelical worship and is large with many families. There are a variety of activities that take place at the church and its hall: please visit their website for more information.